Friday, January 27, 2012

My Training.....


For about 2 months now I've been training a whole lot differently.  I've been lifting at my buddy Jeremy Herring's gym (Power Sports Academy aka The Factory) and also at my regular gym (Nova University).  I've always based my training around strength first but after I entered the Got Total competition (Squat, Deadlift, and Shouder Press) I really became obsessed with becoming the strongest I've ever been.  This obsession is not for any reason or purpose except  I feel that being strong(er) is awesome and being weak is awful.
The Factory, where the strong get stronger.... 
I don't plan on doing any "lifting" competitions in the near future, but I do want to increase my numbers on the squat, bench, and deadlift because it is a measurable goal - and it just fells bad ass to move some heavy weight.

After messing around with Total Body training 3 days a week and using the 5/3/1 program with a lot of success physically, I decided I need a "mental" break.  A change from your regular routine can do a lot for the intensity you bring to each training session.

I have been really happy with my current set up, it's a little "Westside/Conjugate" and since I've been lifting at THE FACTORY on Monday and Wednesday , Jeremy designs the program and writes in on the board-  I go in and do everything verbatim.  It takes the guess work out of my programming and it's pretty freaking intense!

Here's the set up for the week:
Monday - Heavy Bench  (Max Effort)
Wednesday - Heavy Squat / Deadlift (Max Lower)
Friday - Dynamic Bench (Speed/Repetition Work)
Saturday - Dynamic Lower (Jumps/Speed Work)

Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday are usually spent sprinting hills, running tempos, and ocasionally taking a day of rest if I'm feeling a little beat up.
Hill running in sunny South Florida, gotta love it! 
Here's what a typical Wednesday would look like:
-Foam Roll, Dynamic warm-up
A1.  Max effort box squat
B1.  Deadlift from Pin 2 (Blue Bands) 4-5 sets of 3-5 reps
C1.  Posterior Chain Movement (RDL, Hyper extension, Reverse Hyper) 2-3 sets of 15-20
C2.  Heavy Sled Drags
D1.  Heavy Rows 3-5 sets of 8 to 12 reps.

I don't think this is the best approach for everybody, there are a very few people that I know that are truly concerned about getting strong (er).  This style of lifting has made me feel more powerful and  each session brings back memories of the college football days.

As I get older, I question why I'm still competing with myself every training session and why I push myself to the limit each time I touch a barbell.  To be honest, I don't know any other way.......

No comments: