Tuesday, October 26, 2010

3 reasons your trainer sucks!


I've worked in a commercial gym for roughly 8 years and have lifted in one for pretty much my entire adult life. I always like to observe personal trainers, the exercises they choose, and their conduct with their clients. For the most part, I'd say 75% of the trainers I've seen in South Florida SUCK! I will add to this list but if your trainer does any of these 3 things- fire them!
1- Your trainer uses the Abductor/Adductor machine. "But what about the inner and outer thighs?" Come on, these machines are garbage- pretty much a waste of time, but you are put on them so you "Feel the burn!" Performing compound movements, squats, lunges, and deadlifts, will improve your thighs, butt, and midsection, more than any machine.
2-Your trainer has an "Arm Day" workout. I get it, nice big/lean arms are something the majority of gym goers want. Training the arms, and only arms is a waste of time and money. There are more "bang for your buck" exercise that will improve the arms as well as other parts of your body. Push ups, over head press, and dumbbell press will improve your triceps- Rows, pull downs, and any chin-up variation will improve your biceps.
3-Your trainer is texting or even checking their cell phone while you are performing a movement. Duh? Obviously this is wrong, but I've seen it so much over the past year and clients are dealing with it. Tell your trainer you are paying them for this time slot, not the person they are texting!

No comments: