Thursday, January 20, 2011

What I did on Wedneday..........


I know that I may get some flack for this because my lifting might not be hardcore enough, the weights might not be heavy enough, or you might think that I made up these numbers- Oh well, at least I'm still bringing some intensity at 35 years old.  My goal is to get better at something everyday, I might not be entering any powerlifting meets, but I always have to compete with myself- and I want to be better today than I was yesterday

Before I get into my Wednesday workout, I'll describe my current program.  I am lifting 3 days a week, Monday-Wednesday-Friday.  I have my wedding coming up March 12 so my goal for the next 7-8 weeks is to get as lean as possible without losing too much strength. Actually to be more specific (190 lbs, 8% bodyfat- skinfold, and not lose ANY strength).  Physiologically it's almost impossible to drop weight and increase strength.

I am following Wendler's 5/3/1 program, and my lifting takes about 45 minutes each session.  Monday is my "Squat day"  and "Shoulder Press" with some vertical pulling and core stability work.  Wednesday is "Bench Press", basically a heavy pressing day with some retraction work for the rhomboids and some pull-ups.  Friday is my "Hang Clean" and "Deadlift" day with heavy horizontal pulling and Posterior Chain work.

Here is my Wednesday session:

-Dynamic warm up (a combination of stuff from Joe DeFranco, Eric Cressey, Mike Robertson, and anyone else who deals with training athletes.  Here is a sample of some stuff from DeFranco.
-Bench Press ("3" week) 215x3 245x3 275x3 one back off set 225 x 10
-Incline DB press / Wide grip pull-ups    80lbs x 10reps  / 5 pull-ups  (4 supersets)
-Dips 4 sets of 12 / Face Pulls 4 sets of 12
-Band pullaparts 2 sets of 15 / DB shrugs 2 sets of 12
-Metabolic Circuit (30 seconds on, 30 seconds off- 12 min)  Push-ups, Squats, Jump Rope, Med Ball slams

That's it! About 45 minutes of pure enjoyment in the gym.

A few things.... I know 5 chin-ups is lame,  but I am doing them more for "active recovery" between pressing. I really don't rest a whole lot in between exercises and I honestly talk to NO ONE in the gym while I'm lifting.  My work gym is different then my lifting gym, and my lifting gym doesn't have a lot of members who I would want to strike up a conversation.  Not that I'm an A-hole, but the wannabe Jersey Shore cast isn't my type of crowd.  Better for me, I'm in and out!

Next week is my "1" week with 5/3/1 and after that I'll Deload and decide if I want to switch things up a little bit for the 5 week countdown to the big day.  I read something that motivated me to keep pursing strength gains by Jason Ferruggia, it is definitely worth a read.  Most of the leaning up process is through diet and cardio/interval training, there is no reason to let your strength go down the toilet.

No comments: