Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Super Size Me


The other night I re-watched the movie "Super Size Me". It's a documentary about a guy, Morgan Spurlock, who decides to eat nothing but McDonald's for 30 days. During this time he weighed-in on a weekly basis, had blood work done, and was under strict medical supervision. Obviously he gained a ton of weight and his blood work results were to say the least, unhealthy.

This movie was made years ago. The fast food industry is still thriving. There is something wrong with this picture. We have full control to avoid making fast food a staple in our diets, but some people chose to put that garbage in their mouth's and in the mouth's of their children. It was disturbing for me to watch someone consume McDonald's for 3o days and encounter all of these , pretty much well known, negative health effects. What is more disturbing is that the movie was done to prove a point, to show America you need to avoid this crap, but every morning when I drive by McDonald's the drive-thru and parking lot are packed, by personal choice.

People can chose what they want to do with themselves. Eat what you want, drink what you want, and sit on your ass as long as you want. What kills me is when these habits are passed on to children. I have 250 sixth graders throughout the day, some active, some obese. Is it their fault? When I walk thorough the cafeteria, with around 600 kids, and I see packed lunches that are loaded with unhealthy calories, I wonder what were these parents thinking??? When I get to school in the morning and I see the same students with McDonald's cups every morning (who are obese, by the way) I feel like I should talk to the parent about better food choices. But that wouldn't be right, right? I might hurt someone's feelings and in our society it's more important to "not offend" somebody than improve someone's health.

I realize I'm not the only one who feels this way. There are many people who chose to eat and have their children eat nutritious foods. I applaud these people for not giving in to the easy way out. Cooking breakfast, packing a quality lunch, and making a healthy dinner takes time and preparation. The good thing is that time will be repaid in the amount of "healthy years" you and your children will enjoy in life. Take 30 days of your life and eat quality, nutritious, prepared at home food- you will feel such a positive difference both physically and mentally. You were only given one body, take care of it and it will take care of you.

For more fact on fast food check out this link: DON'T EAT IT!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Good Post-totally agree. I still haven't seen that movie, I will def check it out =)