Friday, November 5, 2010

What makes my stomach turn.....


I really didn't want to be negative on a Friday, but I honestly can't keep the filter working anymore. Personal Training has turned into a disgrace. There are trainers out there who don't know their ass from their elbow and they are stealing peoples hard earned money. I witness it everyday and it really pisses me off! I wrote a blog "3 reasons your trainer sucks" and I will soon elaborate on that list, but for now I'm going to describe some things to look for when hiring a trainer.
1) Watch them train someone else. I know you might look like a stalker, but get on a treadmill or bike and act like you are exercising and keep your eyes glued to the trainer or client. If they are doing something stupid, such as endless sets of leg extension or performing one leg squats while doing tricep kickbacks on a bosu ball, run for the hills!
2) Check their certifications. There are so many bogus personal training certifications out there. I actually heard of a top strength coach getting his dog certified through an online course. Look for NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Association), ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine), NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine). The first two are a little more reputable, once you get the NASM CPT the more advance certs can be taken online (which means someone smart can take them for you).
3) Do they have a college degree? I know there are good trainers that majored in Business or Finance in college, but at least they graduated college which shows a level of intelligence and dedication. Preferably you would look for someone with exercise science, exercise physiology, human movement, physical/health education, or kinesiology.
4) What was the last book they read pertaining to health/fitness/nutrition? How many seminars and conventions have they attended? Continuing education is extremely important. If someone tells you they read Muscle and Fitness every month, that does not make them a fitness professional. If you are serious about your profession and making yourself and your clients better you will try to learn from people smarter than you. Pick up a book by Dr. Mel Siff, Gray Cook, Dr. Stuart McGill, or Mike Boyle if your trainer doesn't know who at least one of these people is- walk away.
5) Ask them about their training philosophy. Yes, it might seem a little odd, but a good trainer will be able to describe why the personal train and what they would like their clients to achieve. If a personal uses the fancy terms "functional" and "core" ask them to describe these in detail and how will it relate to your results.
Extra Credit- *Ask them to name 3 of the 4 muscles in the rotator cuff. *Ask them to describe the mobility/stability continuum *Ask them to explain reciprocal inhibition.

I have to admit I'm not "World's Best Trainer" and I don't claim to know it all, there are a lot more people smarter then me out there- that's who I steal and learn from......

I want people to think twice on who they pay to try to improve their body. It could be dangerous and you could get injured if you are working with someone with the intelligence of a box of rocks. Most importantly if you are getting training for your children be extremely cautions on who you hire. I've seen trainers doing ridiculous things with teenagers that could lead to movement problems later on in life. I try to educate myself to be best of my ability and I wish other people in my profession would do the same, clients would get in better shape, move better, and be healthier if trainers held themselves more accountable and became more professional.

Have a great weekend everybody!!!

No comments: