Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The difference (Nutrition Edition)


With the holidays right around the corner it's time for parties and other social events that might create some negative choices when it comes to your nutrition. First of all, it is a great time of year to enjoy the company of family and friends. However, this might create a little friction when it comes to eating and drinking the way you are accustomed to. I don't want to sound like a nutrition nazi because I will have a more than a little freedom when it comes to what I eat and drink during this time of year. I will be about 90% compliant with my food choices, and most of the time I actually don't eat desert or fried foods. I do love my mom's Christmas breakfast though, eggs benedict- I eat like 10,000 calories of the stuff!!!

If you are choosing to stay strict with your food choices, it's important not to come across like an A-hole during this time of year. Ya know, when someone say's "It's okay, you're thin, you can have a few cookies and some cake". You don't want to react and say "Well, you're fat, I'm surprised we have any cookies and cake left!" Total A-hole move. Once again the topic will focus on EXCUSES, because we all have them, whether we chose to watch our waistline or be a chunky monkey.

People that are out of shape will make excuses why they deserve to go on a feeding frenzy, or treat themselves to a desert or an extra slice of pizza. Here are some of the excuses I've heard over the years regarding these over eaters:

-"I walked/ran/did spinning this morning, of course I'll have another slice of cheesecake". (I pretty much guarantee that cheesecake has more calories than you burnt during your little exercise routine)

-"I'm going to start the new year with a new diet, it's the BEST diet ever, it's recommended my a doctor and it GUARANTEES results!" (Too bad, the Dr. got paid for the endorsement, doesn't know crap about nutrition and the diet sucks, you might actually gain weight and feel like ass when it's all said and done)

-"I'm bulking, trying to gain some muscle" (You've been bulking for the past 2 years, you're actually ballooning )

-"It's fat-free!" (Probably the dumbest excuse I've ever heard- look at all the chemicals in fat free foods, and most of the time they are loaded with sugar and calories)

-"It really doesn't matter how I eat, I'm not genetically skinny, so I might as well eat what I want to" (Everyone can improve the way they look, but more importantly, improve their health)

Here are some excuses for people on the other side of the fence, the people who try to eat clean at least 90 percent of the time.

-"I'm full, I ate before I got here" (This is usually true- most of the time the lean and mean crew will eat before they leave the house. If you're at a get together with appetizers, just to be social you will probably want to nibble on some veggies, with no dip-of course)

-When asked "Is it boring to eat the same foods all the time?"NO-it's really not boring to eat the same food all the time, and it's definitely not boring to be in great shape all the time either (okay, that sounds kinda cocky, sorry)

-"I really don't feel good when I eat that type of stuff" (This is probably true if you are used to eating clean foods, you don't want bubble guts at a social event)

-"I've never felt better since I've been avoiding those type of foods, I have more energy, I sleep better, and I haven't been sick forever" (Notice how there is no mention of looking sexy so you don't come across as shallow)

-"I don't feel like drinking tonight, I'm driving" (This is probably the most positive excuse I've ever heard- everyone should love a designated driver)

Sometimes people will try to derail you from making a "positive excuse", just remember YOU are going to deal with the aftermath of what you eat and drink, not the person that does the convincing. I wrote a blog about people like that here.

No comments: